At Bayswater North Primary our mathematics curriculum follows the Victorian Curriculum.
Our school aims to ensure that students:
- are confident, creative users and communicators of mathematics, able to investigate, represent and interpret situations in their personal and work lives and as active citizens
- develop an increasingly sophisticated understanding of mathematical concepts and fluency with processes, and are able to pose and solve problems and reason in Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, and Statistics and Probability
- recognise connections between the areas of mathematics and other disciplines and appreciate mathematics as an accessible and enjoyable discipline to study.
The Victorian Curriculum Mathematics Learning Area in primary schools incorporates the following:
- Number and Algebra: counting, number patterns, place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, money, mental strategies, calculations
- Measurement and Geometry: money, length, mass, time, temperature, area, volume, capacity, angles, shape, location
- Statistics and probability collecting, reading and interpreting data and graphs and deciding on the chances of events occurring.
At Bayswater North Primary all grade levels have a minimum of five one hour sessions per week allocated to mathematics. Typically, mathematical sessions begin with a whole class focus. The children may then be part of small group teacher directed activities, independent activities or rotational activities. Groups are structured according to the teaching focus of the session and the children’s individual learning needs.
Children are encouraged to verbalise their thinking. Sharing their learning and strategies during and at the end of a session is an excellent way for children to learn from each other and clarify their understandings.
Children work at a level that enables them to build on prior knowledge, challenge their thinking and make new connections. At all levels children are presented ‘real life’ mathematical problems enabling them to apply their mathematical skills and develop their problem solving strategies.
The children at Bayswater North have been given a password enabling them to use the ‘Mathletics’ Program. This program can be accessed by the children both at school and home. Children are able to practise, refine and challenge their mathematical skills and understandings at levels appropriate to their capabilities.
For further information use the link below