Science is a key area of study at Bayswater North Primary School. In the Science Curriculum Children, based upon the Victorian Curriculum there are 3 strands that are covered:
In this area students learn that living things are interdependent and interact with each other and their environment; and the form and features of living things are related to the functions that their body systems perform.
Students classify substances based on their properties, such as solids, liquids and gases, or their composition, such as elements, compounds and mixtures.
Earth and space sciences
Students understand that the Earth is part of a solar system that is part of a larger universe; They explore how changes on Earth, such as day and night and the seasons relate to Earth’s rotation and its orbit around the sun. They explore the ways in which humans use resources from the Earth and appreciate the influence of human activity on the surface of the Earth and the atmosphere.
Students study the forces that affect the behaviour of objects; and that energy can be transferred and transformed from one form to another.
Science as a human endeavour
The nature and development of science
Use and influence of Science
Science Inquiry and Skills
Science inquiry involves identifying and posing questions; planning, conducting and reflecting on investigations; processing, analysing and interpreting evidence; and communicating findings
To support our science program our school’s resources include:
- Our own Frog Bog, designed as a breeding site so students can investigate living things, including animals, plants, and micro-organisms, and their interdependence and interactions within ecosystems.
- Home Grown garden where children learn they life cycle of plants how vegetable are grown and the seasons they follow .The products from our gardens are used by the children to promote healthy eating habits
- A worm farm as part of our recycling program
- Composting program to provide fertilizer for our garden beds.
- A Water Wise program to promote care of our waterways
- A wide range of science equipment including microscopes, digiscopes, electronic and solar equipment, magnets, force and motion models, scales, thermometers, weather instruments, mirrors, light equipment, solar models and ponding equipment.